Sunday, April 11, 2010

Qantas 7/4/2010 Albury to Brisbane via Sydney

First flight: Qantas Dash 8 400 from Albury to Sydney

  • The plane was late to arrive in Albury, not arriving until about the time it was due to be departing for Sydney.
  • About half full, there was plenty of space left onboard. Seats were a 2-2 configuration which is always nice.
  • Refreshments were two tasty gourmet biscuits (later seen for sale for $3 in the Jetstar inflight refreshment menu) and a choice of tea/coffee/water or softdrink in mini (250mL cans).

Second flight: Qantas 767 from Sydney to Brisbane

  • I'm more familiar with the Sydney domestic terminal now after having to change terminals between the two flights.
  • The dedicated Qantas terminal was a bit of a surprise as it felt a little run down compared to the other multi-airline terminals I've been in of late.
  • This plane was also about ten minutes late to depart. It did make me glad I was all on a common ticket and luggage was interlined. I am mildly concerned about my return flight from the USA in July, if the United flight from San Frascisco to LA is delayed by more than about half an hour I'll have a tough time collecting my luggage and getting it to AirPacific to check in on time for my flight back to Australia.
  • The only Inflight Entertainment (IFE) was radio and small ceiling mounted tvs showing some short infomercials and mini tv shows. I did enjoy watching the plane on the map but that didn't last too long at the start and never returned before touchdown.
  • Lunch smelt delicious, but consisted of a small quiche - quite tasty, but also quite small. Drinks were the same as on the Dash 8, though there was an option to buy an alcoholic beverage to have with the meal (for those in economy, it sounded like those in business class got one complementary).
  • The flight was about 90% full in economy, not many spare seats and the overhead storage bins were pretty full too. Economy seats were a 2-3-2 configuration which made it harder to have a poor seat (enabling nearly everyone to have an aisle or window seat).
  • Seated in the front small area of economy it felt less crowded and more pleasant than it probably was in the back economy segment.
Conclusion

  • Overall I enjoyed the flight, it felt very efficient to get to Brisbane in that amount of time. The hour of time between flights passed very quickly by the time I changed terminals and founded the new gate. Fortunately the security checks were going quite quickly as I ended up with only about 20 minutes to wait until bording time (which was then delayed, so I had more time up my sleave anyway).
  • Online Check In (OLCI) was nice to do and I did it almost exactly 24 hours before my first departing flight. It was good to be able to select my seat and sit a little further back so I could enjoy a window seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment