Sunday, July 4, 2010

Oaklands to Brisbane 2nd to 4th of July

Thursday Oaklands to Canberra

I got away a little late from Oaklands. My intention was to make it to the Hume Highway before it was dark. I did make it to Wagga by darkness, so I was probably only about half an hour behind schedule (I couldn't find the USB charger for my mobile phone when packing).

The drive was really pleasant. I've been a little anxious about long night drives since hitting a kangaroo two years ago, however I had none of that anxiety on this drive. The Hume was quiet and felt safe and easy to drive on. The tiredness I'd experienced a week earlier didn't manifest - though I must admit I was a bit excited about my upcoming trip and so that probably kept fatigue at pay.

The Rydges Capital Hill hotel was very nice when I arrived there. They issued me with my Rydges membership card, though didn't give me the complimentary drink (though I wasn't worried enough to ask about it). I really enjoyed the hotel, it was very class and had a lovely enclosed area. I had paid for an upgrade which was wasted given I didn't get there until 9:30pm, though it would be fantastic for a couple of night stay (nice sized room with spa bath etc). Slightly dated, my only complaints were that it needed a little fixing up, eg. an old faceplate a little broken in the bathroom, a beside draw which you had to wrestle to operate etc). Check out was also very laboured but eventually got there.

Apart from traffic going very slowly in Canberra, I had a very smooth trip up to Newcastle the following morning.

Saturday Newcastle to Brisbane

I love Plane, Train & Automobile days and today was one. Drove to Newcastle airport, checked in for my Qantas flight and then got the train from Brisbane to Ipswich. I liked that the 11:35pm flight issued a sandwich as refreshment as it was lunch time in the middle of the flight and I was surprised to feel a little hungry. The flight got away five or ten minutes early, however Brisbane Air Control directed the pilot to go slow, so we only got in about five minutes early after all that. It was a very pleasant flight and I enjoyed the view from the window - the great advantage of the smaller Dash planes is flying lower and getting a better view of the ground.

Sunday Brisbane to Fiji to Los Angeles

I woke up early, eager for the flight and so ended up getting to the airport an hour before check in (apparently 2hrs 45min before the flight is due to depart). My punctuality anxiety kicks into overgear for international flights, so I can't help but want to be early and then have time to kill (hence the post I am doing right now). I spent the night in the Brisbane Ibis which was a comfortable basic hotel. I got the 15th floor, which is my record for highest stay so far - had a mildly good view from my window.

The queues at Brisbane airport were reasonable, so it did take a while to get through customs etc - a little disappointing since I don't remember ever having delays worth mentioning in Sydney. I was issued both tickets (BNE-NAN and NAN-LAX) so am ready for my flight. This is also the first time I have taken liquids onboard with me (deoderant and shampoo), probably overkill but after spending 24hrs in New York a few years ago with nothing like that and no doubt smelling, I am keen to have some basic provisions. Plus I am tempted to pay for the day access to the Air Pacific lounge in Fiji since I will have 5 hours to kill. The other benefit of using an internet terminal is that it gives my ipod a chance to charge up before the flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment